Saturday, October 12, 2013

New Orleans Museum of Art & the Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden - New Orleans, LA


With Japan fest happening at the museum today, it was a great way to combine a first visit to the museum with the opportunity to experience Japanese art, culture, food, music, and martial arts. 


I was looking forward to seeing the Kaminari Taiko Drummers but came too late and left too early but I did get to see some laido Sword Drawing (which admittedly isn't as equally awesome).


After that, I didn't partake in too much of the Japanese demonstrations but took time to check out the art. Don't know if it was because so much was going on, on this day but I was having trouble finding much of the art interesting. 


I tend to like modern art so that may have contributed to the problem but the collections they had on the third floor were made up of a lot of different little pieces to look at so it held my attention a lot better.


Outside NOMA is the Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden which I found to be more intriguing that the museum itself.


There was a lot of different sculptures nestled along the paths, lagoons and oaks. I could spend hours here lounging, reading a book, taking in the fresh air (in the Fall/Winter time).


But, above all that, for Japan Fest, this is where all the food vendors were located so I had to get in on that.

Chicken Teriyaki Combo - Ninja Restaurant
Breaded Beef Po'boy - Hoof and Cleaver
Japanese Jalepeno Taco - Woody's Fish Tacos
Blackened Fish Taco - Woody's Fish Tacos



New Orleans Museum of Art
Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden
1 Collins Diboll Cir New Orleans, LA 70124
(504) 658-4100
www.noma.org


No comments:

Post a Comment