Monday, January 20, 2014

Swank Southern Kitchen Restaurant - Davie, FL


My desire for some Southern Swank since leaving New Orleans left me no choice but to check out the new spot in town. The location was not in an area I would have expected this restaurant to be, but it is near my hood so I embrace it. I mean it is really quite odd to find a modern Southern eatery such as this outside of Miami, much less in Davie and on this stretch of University Drive.

Beyond my excitement to find a spot like this in my area, I was equally impressed by the restaurant decor and atmosphere as well as the service. The decor was a modern take on the saloon yet offered that inviting Southern charm. The charm extended to the employees, although I can only really speak about our server who was super sweet and a pleasure the entire meal.


As if it couldn't get any better, since it was a Monday night, they were offering shots of moonshine (as a shot or mixed in a cocktail) for Moonshine Monday! The alcoholic in me definitely took part, and while it wasn't the high-proof drink I was expecting or a beautifully crafted drink, it was $3 and worth it.


I hate when a menu has so many good and interested choices and you have to choose one (you don't have to but if you don't, you are just being greedy). After some going back and forth and some consultation from our server, we settled on the S'Wings. They came out super hot and I was pissed because I was so hungry and I was being forced to wait to started eating. I ended up not waiting and just using a knife and fork but anyway that I ate them, they were tasty. This was not your typical buffalo sauce or blue cheese, it was if you didn't like any of these two sauces before, you might have to reconsider that now.


They have a dish called Beer Can Chicken on the menu, so it was not right that at least one of us try it. The fries and the cole slaw weren't stars, but the gravy was beerrific and the chicken was ridiculously moist. Add a little bit of their hot sauce to the mix and you got a superstar dish on your hand.


Even though I would have went for the ribs, since I knew my fiancé was ordering the Beer Can Chicken, I decided to order something that wasn't out of the smoker and went with the Hanger Steak. It was well prepared and cooked just to my liking. The house jus and the horseradish cream were the perfect quantity and compliment.


We also ordered cornbread which was not only a huge piece but good. I wish it were warm, but it did come with this really amazing butter that I think I may have liked even more than the cornbread itself.


Dessert has always been my favorite part of a meal, but today it was my least favorite. We ordered the Walnut Bread Pudding and although the flavor was there, the consistency was too mushy and I had trouble enjoying it.



What I like about Swank Southern is that the food wasn't ordinary and that creativity was involved in creating the menu. I loved the chill atmosphere and despite my lack of love for my dessert choice, I can see myself going there again and again.



Swank Southern Kitchen
4198 S University Dr, Davie, FL 33328
(954) 727-5497
www.swanksouthern.com
Swank Southern Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment