Sunday, October 14, 2012

Saint Tropez Bistro: French Restaurant in Fort Lauderdale, FL


First impressions are everything and St. Tropez Bistro definitely needs to work on that. The place was pretty packed when we arrived, but there were still a few tables available. Initially, we are told there are no seats available. We ask about an open table we see in the back but we are told that we cannot sit there. He walks back outside and points to a tiny table in the corner and proceeds to tell us we can sit there although it may be cramped. We asked to sit at the table right in front of us and finally he agrees to that. We are seated, given menus and are poured some water.

We quickly go over the menu and decide what we would like to eat. Now, don’t get me wrong, the restaurant was busy and as far as I can tell, only two people were serving, but no one was ever apologetic for it and the gentleman who was serving us and appeared to be the owner or manager was outright rude at times. Well, we waited about 15 minutes before he finally came over to take our order. We placed our order and shortly thereafter, we were given a baguette of French bread to eat. The bread appeared to be fresh and it tasted good, so I was beginning to forget all that happened before that.

We gobbled up the bread and waited a little bit before our appetizer came out. Instead of being brought the Escargots I ordered, we were brought a salad instead. We told him the mistake and shortly thereafter he brought us the correct appetizer. Not a good mistake to make, but we ignored it anyways. The Escargots were amazing. The flavor was out of the world good and it was so tender that it melted in my mouth. I loved it. We were also brought more of the delicious bread which I appreciated.

Of course, after finishing our appetizer, there was another wait before we were finally brought our entrees. I am all about going for the full French dining experience so I got the Mussels. They came with French fries that we freshly fried and tasted simply divine. The mussel itself were also really good. They came in a nicely flavored broth and there was a large amount that I filled up pretty quickly.

My friend got the flanked steak. It was perfectly cooked, a really good cut and the sauce was good too. He said that it was in the top steaks he's ever had. I tasted it too and although I am not a huge fan of steaks, I have tasted a lot and I have to agree, it was good. At that point in time, we both agreed the food was really good and we would come back but then dessert happened.

We waited and waited and waited until finally the table was cleared and we were asked again what we wanted for desert although we had already placed our order at the beginning. I told him again we wanted the macaroons and he repeated it back to confirm. Again we waited an uncomfortable amount of time before we were brought crème brulee. We politely tell him again that we had said macaroons and instead of apologizing and bringing the correct order instead, he proceeds to tell us that we should just eat this. We tell him no and that we had wanted the macaroons. He takes away the crème brulee and minutes later if not less, he brings us three small macaroons on a plate. Considering he brings us the macaroons that quickly as they were already prepared and sitting in the refrigerator to be served, I could not understand what the problem was. They were good, my favorite being the green, although besides the chocolate, I couldn’t tell u what flavors they were. Despite the fact that I enjoyed them, I already had a bad taste left in my mouth.

After desert, I couldn’t wait to get out of there, but instead of making a quick exit, we had to spend more time waiting again. We wait for 15 minutes before we had to ask someone else to bring the bill. They quickly do, we pay and hightail it out of there.
The food was good and I would love to come back because I enjoyed it so much but having the worst service and dining experience I have ever had in my life I am not sure I could ever subject myself to that again.
 

Saint Tropez Bistro
1010 East Las Olas Boulevard Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
(954) 767-1073

www.sainttropezbistro.com

Saint Tropez Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment